"The following is a student created blog regarding the history of the Petaluma Watershed. This blog is part of a series from students at Casa Grande participating in the Watershed Classroom with educators Paula Biancalana and Jolene Thinnes."
The McNear Canal was built in 1898. McNear Canal and Peninsula positively impacted Petaluma due to its improvements of the transportation of goods. The canal was named after John A. McNear, a well known man in Petaluma. John McNear adopted the McNear Canal. Likewise, McNear Canal allowed access to the Petaluma and Santa Rosa Railroad. This canal was considered the largest and most active waterfront in Petaluma. Even today, the town of Petaluma debates to restore the canal. For example, the Petaluma City Council would like to make the Canal into a public park. Overall, McNear Canal and Peninsula will always be an important factor for Sonoma County.
By Anna Sartori