"The following is a student created blog regarding the history of the Petaluma Watershed. This blog is part of a series from students at Casa Grande participating in the Watershed Classroom with educators Paula Biancalana and Jolene Thinnes."
Golden Eagle Mill was built by the Fairbanks family after Hiram T. Fairbanks struck it really big in 1849 during the gold rush. Him and A.P. Whitney founded the Petaluma Savings Bank. Fairbanks was President of the Petaluma Board of Trustees in 1879, and in 1888 he bought the property that became the Golden Eagle Milling Company. Golden Eagle produced over 40 different kinds of feed. Royal Tallow and Soap Company was placed at 551 Lakeville St. It was usually referred to as the “invisible industry” because it wasn’t as glamorous as it’s agricultural cousins. Royal Tallow and Soap was taken over by a few Italian immigrants looking for nothing more than work and a new life, little did they know they’d play as the company’s backbone.
By Tami Doyle