"The following is a student created blog regarding the history of the Petaluma Watershed. This blog is part of a series from students at Casa Grande participating in the Watershed Classroom with educators Paula Biancalana and Jolene Thinnes."
The Petaluma silk mill is located at the intersection of Jefferson Street and Lakeville Highway. It was built in 1892 by the Carlson - Currier Company to produce raw silk for people and cities in need of it. The mill produced approximately 250 pounds of raw silk per day. The building continued to serve people with silk until 1940, when the Sunset Line and Twine Company bought the building from Carlson - Currier. Sunset Line and Twine manufactured fishing and nylon lines. All products came to a halt in 2006 when Sunset Line and Twine company decided to move to the mid-west. Today, the building is abandoned and is on the market for sale.
By Marissa Ranada