This is the fourth post in the series from Casa Grande High School students studying the historical transformation of Petaluma and its Watershed from 1850 with teachers Paula Biancalana and Jolene Thinnes.
Addie Atwater, creator of the Ladies’ Improvement Club, successfully developed Walnut Park located on the corner of Petaluma Boulevard South and D Street and Hill Plaza Park, now known as Penry Park. The Ladies’ Improvement Club was formed by Addie Atwater along with many wives of Petaluma. Their goal was to raise money in order to properly maintain parks of the town by organizing fundraisers and writing articles in the local newspaper. Addie Atwater earned a respectable name in the town because of her good morals and her care for the public parks.