This is the tenth post in the series from Casa Grande High School students studying the historical transformation of Petaluma and its Watershed from 1850 with teachers Paula Biancalana and Jolene Thinnes.
The first railway in Petaluma was a short one, linking the city with the steamer dock at Haystack
Landing (near where present-day Petaluma Boulevard South begins south of town.) The railroad was an easy way of transportation. The Petaluma and Santa Rosa Railroad was incorporated in 1903.The track was laid down in 1904 and service started soon after. In 1928, the P&SR was purchased by the Northwestern Pacific Railroad, with cessation of trolley service coming in 1933. The line was abandoned in 1984, with only remnants preserved in Petaluma.