This is the seventh post in the series from Casa Grande High School students studying the historical transformation of Petaluma and its Watershed from 1850 with teachers Paula Biancalana and Jolene Thinnes.
Seen here is what used to be the McNear Grain and Feed Mill owned by George McNear. It is Located off the Petaluma River right next to part of the Santa Rosa and Petaluma Railroad. George McNear not only ran several of the most successful commercial businesses in Petaluma, but he also was one of the founding members of the Petaluma & Santa Rosa Railroad Company. The P&SR provided the commercial web that connected Sonoma County’s agricultural bounty with Petaluma, its river and the delivery of goods, services and people to San Francisco.
By Justin Bruihl