"The following is a student created blog regarding the history of the Petaluma Watershed. This blog is part of a series from students at Casa Grande participating in the Watershed Classroom with educators Paula Biancalana and Jolene Thinnes."
In January 1851, Tom Baylis and David Flogdell used their schooner to begin regular trade with the hunters. In October 1851, they built a trading post on the West Bank of Petaluma Creek, which is close to the intersection of Petaluma Blvd. and Western Ave. This was one of the first permanent buildings built in Petaluma. Tom Baylis is still paid homage today, the Petaluma trolley is on 110 Baylis Street. “Tom and Dave”, the famous businessmen came to America with little but the American Dream, but they achieved it all. Tom even became a part of the city council and built a firehouse at his own property and expense. Tom and Dave truly honest and giving people to their beloved Petaluma.
By Andre Garcia